Friday, July 24, 2015

July 8: Bonus Track--Magna Carta Exhibit at the British Library

This year marks the 800th anniversary of the Magna Carta, and the British Library is holding a special exhibit. Our professors generously bought us tickets, so a bunch of us went to see the exhibit on Wednesday morning.


Because of the delicate nature of the documents and artifacts, I presume (one of the documents had a sheet covering it at all times to protect it from even the dim light in the space; you had to lift it up if you wanted to see it), photographs were not allowed. And I couldn't begin to list all the documents and materials on display. Luckily, the library's website has this handy slideshow to show you some of treasures on display.

What struck me the most was the age of some of these pieces. It amazes me that such delicate manuscripts are sill here and in such good condition.

I was also struck my the number of organizations that contributed pieces to the exhibit, from the British Museum, to Canterbury Cathedral Archives, to the New York Public Library, and even an archive or library in Australia. It's just another example to me of the cooperative spirit of information professionals and institutions.

I feel very fortunate to have seen this once-in-a-lifetime exhibit.

No comments:

Post a Comment